Are milestone celebrations effective in the workplace?
Are milestone celebrations in the workplace effective???
YES, YES, and YES!
They are extremely important. As I always say, we see the people we work with more than our families in most cases. Leadership should be recognizing employee anniversaries, milestone anniversaries, promotions, completing a large project, and any outstanding achievements that are cause for celebration. You should want to show your appreciation and show that you value their efforts, service, hard work, and loyalty. A small token of appreciation goes a long way! The handwritten card or 5-year pin doesn't cut it. A personalized gift such as a gift card to their favorite restaurant, sports event, play, paid days off, lunch, etc. These are just a few ideas, just remember to make it memorable and personalized.
Employee personal milestones
We believe in personal milestones as well, they are actually more meaningful and build stronger connections. Why, because when leadership shows they care about you as a person and not just as an employee the employee can become very loyal and even work harder. As a leader what milestones should you be looking for?
Here are a few examples of ways you can commemorate an employee’s professional milestone, from the smaller gains to those that are truly remarkable:
- Present a special award, gift, or other types of memorabilia.
- Give extra paid vacation days.
- Have a team lunch to bring everyone together and can also include fun activities and games.
- Take the employee out of the office for a half-day trip to a local attraction, museum, or park.
- Utilize company-wide communication channels or meetings to give shout-outs, mention promotions, welcome new hires, and acknowledge organizational successes.
- Show recognition on social media. This is great if the milestone is a linkable publication, study, or presentation.
- Send personalized notes or cards. These may include gift certificates.
Engagement, Wedding, New Baby, New Home & Retirement
I think you would agree that these are all very important celebrations in all of our lives. And by celebrating with your employee will mean more than you could imagine.
An empathy gift is the last but just as important if not the most important type of meaningful connection you can make. When you have lost a loved one or you're out of work for a period of time because of an illness or accident. Now is the time that people need to know you care about them. It makes all the difference in the world.
Best Practices When Celebrating Professional Milestones
So you’re ready to commemorate an employee’s work anniversary milestone or other types of professional achievement. Here are a few best practices to keep in mind:
- Plan ahead of time, utilize a platform like Golden Hello Company
- Personalize the experience.
- Include specific accomplishments.
- Remote celebrations are equally important to engagement. (Pro tip: mail gifts to the recipient prior to the online celebration!)
- Be open to feedback and think of ways to evolve and improve your celebratory efforts.
- Leverage an employee engagement platform, like Golden Hello Company
- Don’t overlook the small achievements.
- Have fun and be sincere.
No matter what the celebration is, remember the purpose of why you're celebrating and the value it brings.
Plan ahead, start with baby steps, and create an engagement strategy so it will be effective and create a work culture of two-way loyalty, and appreciation, increase profits, and gain employee referrals.
We have created a 5 step employee appreciation program that is effective and will bring you results.
Email or call us and we will send you the program FREE!
email@example.com or 1-800-983-5167